Waking up early is a mental battle. Your subconscious mind will try to convince you why you should stay in bed and enjoy this cozy time under the blanket. Here is a real conversation that your subconscious mind will be having with you:
- “Hey, why the hell you want to wake up early?”
- “Hey, do you really wanna wake up early and leave this nice warm bed?”
- “Hey, do you know that average people sleep around 8 hours every day?”
- “Hey, do you know that if you wake up early you will be tired in the middle of the day and you will regret it?”
- “Hey, how about sleeping now this one hour and tomorrow we can wake up early and do a lot of useful shit?”
- “Hey, it’s too damn cold outside the blanket. Stay”.
- “Hey, there is not enough time to do anything useful. Get back to sleep.”
- “Ok ok. Let’s wake up but give me 5 more minutes, please. Press snooze”
- “Ok ok. let’s wake up early but let’s first check the social media and waste this time.
- “Blah blah blah…”
This is bullshit. Don’t listen to it. If you listened to it you will be risking your career progression, body transformation, and a huge opportunity for being a rockstar. Don’t give it a chance to ruin your plan of being a successful and productive person. Because planning is 50% of the success, you have to decide at least one night before your todo list for this morning.
Here is a list of things to do to overcome this battle
1. Have a list of things that you need to do
The first crucial step of waking up early is knowing why exactly you want to wake up early. Simply if you don’t have strong reasons why you should wake up early, then you will never be able to wake up early and your subconscious mind will manage to convince you to go back to sleep.
For instance, your todo list can be:
- Drink coffee
- Read “The Bla Bla Bla” book for 15 minutes
- Go to the gym (Cardio and abs)
- Arrive at the office 30 min early
If you want to take it to the next level, then put a timeline to it.
2. Don’t just wake up early, but wake up too early
There is no point to wake up half an hour earlier than your normal wake up time because simply it is not enough to get a lot of shit done. The shorter window you give for yourself, the more likely you will choose to get back to sleep and don’t wake up. Give yourself at least two hours in the morning because this will give you a positive feeling about what the number of things you can achieve in this period of time.
3. Don’t think too much. Just do it
To cut the bullshit and don’t give a chance to your subconscious mind to come up with a million reason why you should not wake up early, once you open your eyes you need to jump from the bed. Once you hear your alarm set and open your eyes. Don’t think, just get up.
4. Set your alarm ringtone as your phone calls ringtone
Unfortunately, your subconscious mind can analyze what ringtone is it without you even notice. After some time, it will start to ignore the alarm ringtone. I recently changed my alarm ringtone and made it the same as the phone calls ringtone and it worked. Instead of letting it say “it is the god damn birds ringtone for the wake-up-early alarm”, I made it say “Oh shit, whos calling at that time. Wake up!”.
5. Don’t put your alarm beside the bed
You know that if you put your phone beside your bed, you might end up shutting it up and get back to sleep. That’s why you should put it a bit far away from you to enforce yourself to walk. By walking, you have to think, jump out of the bed, activate your blood circulation and that will decrease the probability of getting back to sleep.
6. Avoid the cold temperature
Believe it or not, this is a strong reason for your subconscious mind to convince you with staying in the warm bed under the blanket. So if you are one of those people who sleep in the AC, make sure to put it on a room temperature or once you open your eyes go open the window and get some fresh air.
7. Don’t check your social media
Everyone knows that social media is a time killer. But I’m not saying don’t use social media. I’m just saying don’t use it in the morning especially during the mental battle of waking up early. You will end up scrolling and scrolling until it’s too late to do get anything done and the idea of sleeping again will become the best option at the moment.
8. Play motivational videos
I strongly believe in the effect of motivational videos on your day. It reminds you that you can do, you were born to be successful, prove your haters are wrong, and it is supposed to be hard because if it was easy everybody will be doing it. Once I wake up, I play my YouTube motivational playlist to pump my mind up and have a positive day. So try to make it a habit and you will see the great impact on your day.
9. Eat some fruits
Fruits are light, fast digestive and vitamins. This is exactly what you need in the morning. Eat one banana, green apple or an orange. Avoid eating heaving breakfast because we all know what is the effect of the food coma.
Wake up early, be productive and get shit done!